Wednesday, January 27, 2010

In the future, everybody will be world famous for 15 minutes

Some time ago we joined the Seoul Art Meetup group but never really got around to attending an event. Then I received an e-mail saying the group was visiting the Seoul Museum of Art to attend the Andy Warhol exhibit that I've been wanting to see so bad - so I figured it was time to head out and meet some new people and see some art!

The exhibition was great, it's a little weird seeing Andy Warhol's work though as it's been imitated so much. But it's fascinating to see his work up close regardless.


It was my first time to a major show at an art gallery in Korea and it was an experience as there were SO MANY people there, it was busy when we got there and it only kept on getting busier and busier. I guess Andy Warhol has more appeal in Korean than I thought he would - which is great.


After the gallery we went and had some dinner with the other people that attended the event - both Koreans and foreigners came along which was really great.


I'd like to finish my post with my favourite Andy Warhol quote - about consumerism and Coca Cola. They used this quote in the exhibition we went to see as well but somewhere along the line it changed from English to Konglish - but that's life in Korea!


What's great about this country is America started the tradition where the richest consumers buy essentially the same things as the poorest. You can be watching TV and see Coca-Cola, and you can know that the President drinks Coke, Liz Taylor drinks Coke, and just think, you can drink Coke, too. A Coke is a Coke and no amount of money can get you a better Coke than the one the bum on the corner is drinking. All the Cokes are the same and all the Cokes are good.

1 comment:

Tillie said...

Oh I want to see Andy Warhol in person. I bet its incredible. Lucky Lucky Lucky.