Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Upcycled Sugar Skull Cushion

Last year I took part in the 12 Days of Christmas Swop and on day twelve I relieved this rad sugar skull long sleeve t-shirt.
Unfortunately it was way too big for me and also way to big for Rich - but I loved the design so much, I didn't want to give it away! However, I also didn't want to leave it sitting in our drawer doing nothing. It seemed like a waste. I loved the design so much.
I figured I'm pretty handy with a sewing machine so I can do SOMETHING with the shirt to make it more useful. I have been wanting to make some cushions for the couch, so that's what I decided to do.Initially I thought I would make a square shaped cushion. But then I decided skull shaped is so much better!
This is a really simple project - all you need to do is find an old t-shirt, cut out the shape of the pillow you want, sew it up leaving a small space to put in the stuffing (in my case an old pillow that had gone "flat") and when you've finished stuffing it whip stitch up the end and you're done. This guy came out much better than I expected - I'm super happy with the result.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

Looks cool :) ! I actually did a similar thing when I was a kid, I was too attached to my Garfield tee so when it got broken I made a cushion of the Garfield print :)
xxx

Curtise said...

It looks great, Trees, cool idea! xxx

Helga said...

Bloody love that! It would awesome with my Frida cushion I got from my sister! XXX

Kura Carpenter said...

just brilliant. I love how you used the skull shape rather than just making a standard square cushion. :)

Krista said...

This is just friggin fantastic! I love it!
xxoo

Vintage Bird Girl said...

Clever you....I'm not really one for skulls but that cushion looks awesome. Xx

JuanitaTortilla said...

That's great. Now that you've mentioned it, I do remember you receiving this shirt from the swap! How crazy-awesome, I thought, to have a shirt in a swap!

Monsterchen said...

i´ve seen it on Facebook before but now i can admire it in all its glory! i looooove your sugar skull cushion! you did a great job on it!

alicia said...

ahhhh! i love it! you've seen our pillow pile, but we could always use one more! <3