Monday, February 29, 2016

Lavender Fields Forever - 2016

If you have been following my blog for a while, you might remember last January I went lavender picking over in Carterton, it was so much fun I decided to go and do it again this year - this should really be an annual event for me I think!
The lavender fields were beautiful - unfortunately the weather was about a million degrees (I don't like super hot weather, well at least here in New Zealand, can you tell?).
The lavender was full of bees again, I'd almost forgotten how much bees love lavender!

It was the same deal as last year, pick a bunch for $5 so we paid for a rubber band and scissors and off we went.

This is actually a commercial lavender farm and the "picking" open days are at the end of their season.



As the lavender farm is a commercial business as well there were selling all kinds of lavender related treats.
I bought some culinary lavender for my friend Alicia, who loves baking and lavender in equal parts.
This however was the best purchase of the day - sweet sweet lavenade, there's only one thing I love more than hot drinks on a ridiculously hot day and that's a great pun!
 However, I also like taking selfies and hanging out with my friends in lavender fields! Yah!
This guy was at the entrance of the farm saying hello and goodbye to everyone, he looked so hot, maybe he just really wanted some lavenade?
One final photo to finish up, we had a look around Carterton to see if we could find anywhere to have lunch- that didn't work out, but we did see this cute sewing chair outside one of the stores.
Now the question is what should I do with two years worth of dried lavender?

5 comments:

Vix said...

That looks a beautiful way to spend a few hours and I'm mega jealous of your sunshine and hot temperatures.
Lavender bags! They're great presents! x

Curtise said...

What lovely photos - those swathes of lavender are a beautiful sight. Unfortunately I'm not that keen on the smell! xxx

Kezzie said...

That's it, I want Lavenade! Really, really want to try it! I bet it was amazing! I love rose lemonade loads too and lavender and rose chocolate are fab! I'd love to visit a Laavender farm in the right season- we walked past one in the dead of winter once!
Some of our wedding photos have a background like this as there are amazing lavender bushes at our wedding venue!x

Louise said...

I remember reading about your last visit there! It looks so beautiful. All that colour! I love the idea of actually picking your own flowers instead of just picking up a bunch at the supermarket / florists. Has to be a lot more fun! I could never eat or drink anything lavender flavoured, though- not a fan of anything floral-flavoured! xx

Natalie Mulford said...

I'm not a huge fan of lavender, as it messes with my breathing, but I love the look of it, so beautiful! The lavenade sounds so yum!