Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Upcycling my own creations - Horsing About Skirt!

If you've been following my blog for a while, you may remember the horsing about dress that I made in September of last year. I liked this dress when I finished, even though it was a pretty basic design (I guess you need a basic design when you're making a dress from mad horse fabric) but I literally only wore it once which seemed like such a waste of precious fabric.

I decided I had to do something else with it and as there was quite a lot of fabric in the dress plus a few scraps (just the right size for interfacing) the horse dress was reborn as the horse skirt.

There really is no point in keeping stuff in your wardrobe you're not going to wear right? So upcycling was really the only thing for it!

The theme of these photos kind of ended up being "signs around our apartment" first up - the exit sign by the stairs.
Then it was time for the towing sign in the car park - this sign actually puzzles me a bit, as you have to actually have keys to the apartment block to even get into our car park. So I'm not sure who could actually get into the building to park here, I guess maybe if you parked in the wrong space you could be in trouble.
You know much of New Zealand is suffering from a drought right now, but the weeds in our car park still seem to manage to grow at a prolific rate. Perhaps its all the pigeon poo?

OUTFIT DEETS:

Boots - Bought in Seoul
Tights - Farmers
Skirt - Made by me
Belt & top - Glassons
Necklace - Rose Street Markets, Melbourne

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Love that skirt- and also that necklace! Maybe you are suffering of drought coz of those greedy weeds ;D ?

Vintage Bird Girl said...

I must try photos on stairs....it has quite a slimming effect, which might help my double chin! The skirt looks fab on you. I really like how you've styled it with the top & boots. It seems so strange that we are getting so much rain here while NZ has missed out. Xx

Krista said...

I wanna see a close up of your necklace, looks awesome!!!! Weeds grow no matter what why is that?

Louise said...

Loving that remastered skirt! Looks lovely on you :) xx

two squirrels said...

Oh the skirt is prefect, yay well done sweet.
Hmmmm weeds are a pain in the tushy.
love V

Camelia Crinoline said...

There's definitely no point in keeping stuff you don't wear. Lucky, you managed to salvage the awesome fabric and make a skirt. It looks great. I love the 'on location' shots too.

Monsterchen said...

oh i know what you mean, i made several dresses in the past i never worn in the end even if i loved them first, it´s the best idea to up cycle them then!!! love the skirt to pieces!
love and kiss,mary

Frocktasia said...

I'm with you gal, it's much better to make a dress into a skirt if it means you'll get more wear out of it :)
I just think some people (probably with a raving fascist complex)love putting up "do this" or "don't do that" signs all over the place even if they make no sense at all...I wish there were more "do what the fuck you like" signs about, maybe in another life time, eh? ;)
I'm in awe with weeds, they truly fascinate me, we have some growing out of the cracks in our balcony and in the guttering pipe by the eaves (three floors up)...I find that quite impressive :)
...xXx

alicia said...

i love white belts! it makes the whole outfit POP! <3

CityScape Skybaby said...

I loved that horse fabric when you showed us the dress you made Trees, so it's great to see it getting an outing again. And I agree with Krista, I want a close up of that fantastic necklace! xx

Melanie said...

I do love novelty fabrics! I was hankering after fifties deer fabric but it was sold out. Your skirt looks lovely!