Monday, September 07, 2009

First Saturday in Korea

For our first Saturday in Korea and we decided to head into Seoul which was pretty amazing - the first place we went to Dongdaemum. When you emerge from the subway one of the first things you see is Seoul's Eastern Fortress gate - which is very impressive.

The main reason we decided to go to Dongdaemum wasn't the gate - it was the market which has an unbelievable amount of fabric and other craft supplies. The fabric floors were mindblowing, there was so much fabric - more than I have ever seen in my entire life. But I preferred one of the floors higher up which had general craft supplies - like jewellery making items, felt, beads, buttons and general "stuff". I bought a few crafty bits and pieces for a swap I am working on at the moment and Rich bought a felt kit to keep him busy. I will so be going back here when I've been paid to buy more crafty things, especially some of the super cute felt softie kits.



We had lunch at a Korean cafe in one of the markets which was Korean Pizza or Pancake - I'm not really sure which? It actually tasted more like potato cake!
After our lunch we headed along to Jongmyo Park which holds many many amazing old Palaces from the Joseon Era.






























We finished off our day in Insadong with even more markets, but by this stage we were both pretty exhaused! But I can't wait to head back to Insadong when I am feeling a little more lively as there is some amazing stuff around here - including tea houses.




1 comment:

Mel Makes Pretty said...

Hey there, looks like you guys are having a great time exploring your surroundings. I hope you continue to settle in well. That craft store looks amazing as well. South Korea definately agrees with you!
Take care and thanks for all the photos and updates,
Bless, Mel