Sunday, June 20, 2010

Planning new adventures....

Rich and I have now found out when our summer vacation is, which means it's time to start planning!

During the winter we went over to pay Japan a visit and this time we are going over to Shanghai, Hong Kong and Macau. I'm really excited about this trip as it's my first multi-country trip.

I do realised that these days both Hong Kong and Macau are actually part of China, but they both have their own flags and own currency so I am counting them as separate countries.

I am especially excited about going to Hong Kong as I am going to catch up with my old High School friend Lillian who I haven't seen since my first couple of years of university.

Also, when we are in Hong Kong we are going to make a day trip to Shenzen on the Chinese mainland and visit Minsk World, which is a military theme park which includes a soviet era minsk aircraft. Can you imagine anything crazier than that? Because I sure can't and I'm so excited about seeing it!

I'm also excited about going to Shanghai to see the World Expo in Shanghai, I know it's geeky, but I went to the World Expo in Brisbane in 1988 when I was a kid and I am so excited at the prospect of going to a World Expo again.

Speaking of world expo, a while ago I told Rich that the mascot for the 1988 Expo was a platypus, which is, in my humble opinion one of the freakiest looking animals in the world.

When I was searching the internet I came across this picture of the World Expo 1988 mascot.
Speaking of mascot's, this guy is the mascot for the Shanghai Expo, I'm not sure exactly what he is but he is created from the chinese symbol which means people and his name is Haibao. He looks a lot like water to me.

Anyways, I should go to bed as it's too late to still be awake on a school night. But expect more exciting details of our trip as soon as they are finalised.

4 comments:

Jade said...

I can't believe that. I was also at the same world expo in 1988

Trees said...

That's pretty funny! I think you would have been a wee bit younger than me at the time right;)

I can remember the NZ & Australian pavilions and not much else!

Jade said...

We still have photos, I was only 3 or 4 but there are photos of me and my sister with our matching unicorn hellium balloons, another one of us staring at a guy with a flowerpot as a head, and then another one with a charlie chaplin impersonator. My mum also took photos of all the giant butterflies and insect decorations

Trees said...

Sounds really cute! I do kind of remeber some street performers there^^