Saturday, July 07, 2012

OOTD: Velvet Dress

I have been quiet for much of this week - the reason for this is simple - winter sickness! I am really over winter now and ready for some warmer weather.
This is my most recent creation - a red velvet dress. There have been a lot of velvet dresses in shops recently and I have been wanting some for some time. However, although I rather loved the idea of a velvet dress - I didn't really love the style of the dresses available (most of them seem to be baby doll dresses - which really ISN'T my style) and also the colours just aren't that exciting - either deep purple or black. So I decided the best thing to do was to make my own.
As you can see from this photo - the velvet actually has a bit of a golden sheen to it, which is quite pretty. Unfortunately when I cut out this dress, the living room ended up being full of glittery sparkles from the fabric. It kind of got everywhere - opps!
I wasn't too sure how to style this dress - as it does remind me a little bit of "Christmas" so I didn't want to wear green with it and end up looking like an elf! I think that this blue works pretty well.
I had my hair cut and coloured today and new extensions put in - this time purple. My hairdresser now has new owners and they charged $50 less than the old owners did to do my hair, which left me feeling pretty happy and slightly richer.

I hope you all have a great weekend!

OUTFIT DEETS:

Dress - Made by Me!
Boots - Avon
Tights - Equipt
Belt - Valley Girl
Cardy - Glassons
Necklace - Used to belong to an Auntie

13 comments:

Penny-Rose said...

I totally understand what you mean about the bits of velvet sparkles all over the floor, and also the comment about baby doll dresses. Like the blue cardi with the red - great colour combo.

Curtise said...

You look fabulous! Love the new purple extensions, your hair is looking mighty sleek, and the dress is lovely. The blue does work well with red, I agree. Envying the boots and belt too... xxx

two squirrels said...

Oh your hair looks so pretty!!!! Love it.
The red velvet dress is fabulous.
Have a fantastic weekend.
Love v

one denim bird said...

Baby Doll style doesn't do anything for my curves and red really suits you! I'm loving those purple hair extensions (and the style) and what a bonus $50 extra in your pocket! Gotta be happy with that.

Vintage Bird Girl said...

Great frock....it must have been the week for red in blogland. I hope you feel much better after a relaxing weekend. Xx

Unknown said...

YAY FOR RED VELVET FROCKS!!! Love it with blue - I would try it with purple and/or orange and/or hot pink too!! Sarah xxx

Melmo Momoko said...

hey! you have a nice blog. you look very lovely!

cb said...

what?!!? you can't have winter blues with an awesome dress like that!!!!! but i totally feel you, i am not a huge fan of winter and indoor activities. your hair cut and extensions look great!!!!!
xo,
cb

alicia said...

oh man, velvet babydoll dresses! i suddenly feel 1995 calling my name...

i wish i lived there, for many reasons, but mostly so you could make me dresses!

<3 <3 <3

Lakota [Faith Hope and Charity Shopping] said...

Ah your hair looks awesome, love it!

Stacey said...

This dress is gorgeous! I love the fabric - that golden sheen is really pretty. Red looks really nice on you too.

Camelia Crinoline said...

It looks great. Red is so much more exciting than black. I love the red and blue combination. I'm always wary about wearing red and green together too.

Life's a shoe said...

nice look! love your dress and belt!