Sunday, July 08, 2012

Beefcake Stitching

I just wanted to share a couple of recent embroidery patterns with you all - embroidery is one of those crafts that I get a little bit obsessed with for a couple of months, then I don't do any for about six months and then I pick it up again and think "why did I stop doing this?" - its awesome.

Here's a couple of embroidery hoops I made for our friends Nankz and Paul for their birthdays which are only a few weekend apart.

Recently, Nankz and I went to watch a film about the life of Rock Hudson and the Outtakes Film Festival these embroidery hoops hoops were inspired by Rock and those cheesy "beefcake" photos of the 1950's.

I used a pattern called "Beefcake Beach" which I picked up at Madam Fancy Pants on Cuba Street, they used to sell Sublime Stitching Patterns at Iko Iko too, but I haven't seen any there for a long time and Madam Fancy Pants only sells a limited number I think I the future I'll end up buying the patterns online.


I'm currently working on a third beefcake babe - he's done in blue thread and is also on the same fabric as the surfer dude (the fabric is actually an old sheet I picked up at the op shop).

I'm off to look at more sublime stitching patterns - there are so many more designs I want to make - the totally metal designs are pretty awesome.

11 comments:

Stacey said...

These are pretty damn cool! Love them!

Porcelain complexion said...

Very cool, love the surfer dude!

I haven't been in the blogosphere lately, off to catch up on your posts now xo

cb said...

I really needto get back into embriodery. I miss it but i just cant find the time. I have plans of making presents for christmas. I love the use of a patterned fabric, it really addsto how cute they are!
Xo,cb

alicia said...

so cute! <3

Elle Johns said...

Wow impressive sewing!!

xoxo, Elle

www.thehighfeather.com

Elle Johns said...

Wow impressive sewing!!

xoxo, Elle

www.thehighfeather.com

Elle Johns said...

Wow impressive sewing!!

xoxo, Elle

www.thehighfeather.com

Elle Johns said...

Wow impressive sewing!!

xoxo, Elle

www.thehighfeather.com

Elle Johns said...

Wow impressive sewing!!

xoxo, Elle

www.thehighfeather.com

Elle Johns said...

Wow impressive sewing!!

xoxo, Elle

www.thehighfeather.com

Misfits Vintage said...

What a fab, kooky embroidery project - such fun! Sarah xxx