Thursday, July 26, 2012

Birthday Adventures Part II - The Vanity Case

Last weekend I decided to have "Part II" of my birthday celebrations - why should birthdays be limited to one day or one weekend?

For the second half of my birthday I decided to have a glamour party with a local Wellington business - The Vanity Case. Its a bit like having a tupperware party - only about a MILLION times more awesome!


When you hold a glamour party, the lovely Claire will come over to your house and give you a vintage make-over, which includes hair and make up. Claire also sells a lovely range of products from the USA called Besame and as well as hair styling products.

Claire is also so knowledgeable about vintage beauty and make-up as well as the Hollywood starlets of old - she's part make-up artist, part historian and all awesome.

Before deciding upon my style she passed around this vintage hair styling book and asked my friends to choose a style for me. They actually chose something quite similar to the style on the cover - a kind of 1940's style with a fringe! I don't even remember last time I had a fringe - primary school I think.
Claire told us that most vintage hairstyles are based on curls - so first up I had to have my hair curled and then she worked her magic in regard to the style.

Oh DARLING - I look FABULOUS!
I think the I actually like this look better with my glasses than without - I actually meant to but my contact lenses in before Claire arrived for the party, but due to a little bit too much time spent at a jumble sale in the morning (opps) I kind of ran out of time to sort myself out. When Claire had finished up, all my friends were like - oh that looks great and when I put on my glasses they seemed really amazed. A good pair of glasses is certainly worth the investment. What do you all think about my 1940's style?
Claire also teaches vintage styling classes here and I'm hoping I can take some of these classes soon, I'm particularly interested in the 1960's class. But I'm always keen to learn more about hair and make-up and generally being fabulous!

9 comments:

Unknown said...

You look GORGEOUS!!! I love it - and you're right, it looks BEAUTIFUL with your fab red glasses. Sarah xxx

Vintage Sweetheart said...

wow what a cool thing to do for your birthday!! You look stunning and the glasses definitely make the look. I wish they had a thing like that here. xx

Vix said...

You look absolutely gorgeous, what a fun thing to do. Your glasses do look fabulous with the overall look! x

cb said...

oh wow, what a fun party! i love the hair do. you DO look fabulous! i love it! i want a vintage make over party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xo,
cb

cb said...

oh wow, what a fun party! i love the hair do. you DO look fabulous! i love it! i want a vintage make over party!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
xo,
cb

Camelia Crinoline said...

What a fun thing to do. Your hair looks lovely. I definitely think your glasses add to the 1940s look. I have that Vintage Hairstyling book but I have never actually tried any of the styles.

Vintage Bird Girl said...

How cute do you look!!! I would love to have a full vintage styling session. I am so not good at doing anything interesting with my hair! Xx

Stacey said...

Oh, I love this idea! What a fun party! And, you look absolutely gorgeous of course. I reckon your new look works beautifully with your funky red glasses!

Anonymous said...

OMG this is too cool!!! LOVE IT!!!