Monday, September 29, 2008

Roller Derby Girls

So maybe a week or two ago my friend Jaimee e-mailed me about an article she had seen in the Capital Times about the Wellington Roller Derby League known as the Richter City Rollers and asked if I would be interested in giving it a go.

I had heard of Roller Derby before, but I didn't know too much about it, other than it was a women's only sport involving roller skates and pushing people over - I figured it sounded like fun and I did need more exercise and I knew it was a sport you could do in a skirt which held real appeal to me so I figured I would give it a go.

So on Saturday Jaimee and I headed out to a skating rink in the Hutt with some of the Richter City Rollers to give this whole skating thing a go - I have to admit to start with I was pretty worried, I hadn't skated since I was a kid and even then I wasn't very good, I didn't skate regulary or anything.

But with some help from the derby girls both Jaimee and I were able to go from holding onto the side of the rink to avoid falling to actually doing something which resembled skating! It was amazing how much we improved in two hours in skating.

Yesterday we went to see an official derby practice with the team, and whilst it seems like it will be a few months until we get our speed and other skills up the practice was really amazing and the roller derby girls were really cool.

I can hardly wait to get better at skating so I can really get into the skating scene.

No comments: