Monday, July 28, 2008

A busy weekend despite the weather

So as everyone has seen from view out their windows the weather is an absolute shocker at the moment - the cold I can almost handle - but when you combine the cold with the rain and your main mode of transport is putting one foot in front of the other it can lead to some rather unpleasant times.

But despite this, Rich and I still managed to get out and about a bit over the weekend. On Friday night we managed to see the first play we have seen in months and months - it was at BATS and it was called "The Mall" and it was really amazing. It was about all the characters that exist in the Mall - the post ladies that work at trade aid, the geek at the war hammer store and the dodgy kids that hang about shoplifting. But it was mainly focused on one character called "Dean" who has been working in the cinema for about eight years and has had enough of the Mall and his @#$% of a boss and everything else. He meets a slightly Crazy Chinese girl in the food court of the Mall and they plan a Mall Massacre. It was a really awesome play - glad we went to see it.

On Saturday we went to meet Nankz for a coffee at Te Papa and then went to see our second film festival film "Donkey in Lahore" which was the amazing story of a kind of "outcast" Australian Puppeteer who meets a girl in Pakistan and decides that she is the one for him. It's a documentary from when he converts to Muslim through to their marriage which appeared to be a rather long and draw out process - full of Visa's and cultural differences, but it had some pretty hilarious moments. I would say it's one of the best films I've seen in a long time so if you can rent it!

The night I went over to Kat's for another "Clothes Swap" party and managed to get rid of a few things and gain a few things. I did manage to gain to floaty summer dresses but suspect that people were getting rid of them as they feel as if they will never feel the sunshine again!

Later on Saturday night Ross and Shelly came over for dinner, so Rich cooked the mains - Burritos and I cooked a "Chocolate Self Saucing Pudding" for the first time in years in years. Took me back to uni days when Ross, Craig and I were flatting together and we would make chocolate self saucing puddings on a pretty much weekly basis - usually at about 11pm or so in the evening (oh for the days when having to be at class by 9:00am was REALLY early!).

Sunday it rained and rained and rained so it was such an "inside day" but I did make my first ever set of juggling balls on the "vintage" sewing machine my mum bought me. It's a pretty cool machine but it does weigh a tonne and it is slightly weird as it has no foot pedal, instead you use your knee to work it. If you can sew you may be thinking "weird" if you don't sew you most likely have no idea what I am talking about!

We rounded off the weekend with another film festival film - this time it was a Spanish film called "Timecrimes" heading is kind of lame but the film was really awesome. But I won't even attempt to explain it as it involved a LOT of time travel and was very confusing at some points.

So that was my weekend - nasty weather shall not prevent me from taking in the culture of the city OR obtaining free clothes.

No comments: