Sunday, April 07, 2013

Philadephia "To Do" List

I've been thinking a lot about my upcoming trip this weekend, I think this is due to three main factors:

1) I feel like I REALLY need a holiday now
2) It's cold and I don't want to go outside
3) I really need to do some planning to make the most of my stay

I'm visiting four places when I visit - New York City, Philadelphia, Whitehall (PA), Orlando and San Fransisco.

I kind of already have plans for Orlando nailed as I'll be meeting with my friend Dani and I'll be there for a weekend and we will do Disney related things. I've spoken to Alicia quite a lot about my trip to Whitehall and I think that she and Bear already have all kinds of fun things planning (including a buggy ride in Amish country). So that leaves three BIG cities - NYC, Philadelphia and San Fransisco.

I've already spoken to Meg quite a bit about Philadelphia as I will be staying with her and she's a local so I'm sure she has a lot of good ideas about where to go and what to see. I've also done a bit of research on the internet and here's a few places I'd like to go in Philadelphia:

1) Mutter Museum - If you have been following my blog for a while, you may have realised, I like creepy stuff. The Mutter Museum is a medical museum that seems to be packed to the rafters with creepy medical type things. A quick google search bought up these images:

2) Eastern State Penitentiary - In addition to liking generally creepy stuff I also like to visit old shut down prisons. Again I think its partly due to the fact I like social history and partly due to the fact I like things that are a bit bleak and morbid. I've been to old prisons here in New Zealand, Melbourne, Hanoi and Seoul. So I'd like to check out one in the USA as well.
Old Napier Prison, New Zealand

3) Independence Visitor Centre/Park - I'm a history geek and the Independence Centre tells me that its "your gateway to America's most historic square mile" so I'm keen to check it out. 

4) Love Park - I want to go and visit the "Love Park" and take cheesy photos in front of the sign - because I'm a grown-up.

5) South Street - Meg has told me about South Street before and it sounds amazing - I can't wait to go and do a spot of shopping and take LOTS of photos. The street art looks amazing.

6) Philadelphia Magic Gardens - I'm pretty sure that these gardens are located near South Street. It doesn't appear to be a "standard" garden, but a garden full of beautiful mosaics. It looks so incredible.

7) Edgar Allan Poe National Historical Site - Back to the more creepy elements of Philadephia, I'm really looking forward to visiting the Edgar Allan Poe National Historical Site which is one of the places that Poe used to rent whilst living in Philadelphia. It looks amazing.
Photos of Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site, Philadelphia
This photo of Edgar Allan Poe National Historic Site is courtesy of TripAdvisor 

There are also a few other things I want to do in Philadephia like visiting the Rocky Statue and also do at least one ghost tour, I've found a couple of options for these online. Then of course there will be thrifting (not op shopping because I'm in the USA) with Meg and general fun times!

14 comments:

Helga said...

Far OUT, there's some swanky fun stuff to do in Philly! I had never thought of going there, but I now want to!
I'm not into creepy stuff especially, but that mutter Museum does look fascinating! EEEK! You'll have SUCH a brillant time! XXX

JuanitaTortilla said...

You make Philly sound so fun! Wish I could join you.

Curtise said...

Now you've got me wanting to go! So much to see... xxxx

Vix said...

Who knew there was so much to see in Philly! I'm dying to go somewhere now! x

Anonymous said...

I'd love to travel! Have fun!

Stacey said...

Looks like fun! I can't wait to live vicariously through your travelling again. ;)

Unknown said...

Ermahgerd, this looks like mad fabulous fun! Please take a zillion photos for us!!

Sarah xxx

Unknown said...

Amazing pics! And great city:)

http://theprintedsea.blogspot.de/

CityScape Skybaby said...

I'm sure if anyone would make the most of this trip it's you Trees, you always seem to find interesting places to go. I hope you get to seeing all of these and more. Have fun planning it all out and have a fantastic time when you get there! xx

Frocktasia said...

If I were to visit the US my first stop would be Yellowstone and then a ride through the Arizona desert on the back a Harley.
Living in London I am not drawn to cities, I'd rather go somewhere with less people and more nature.
Saying that, the Mutter Museum looks like it would be right up my street. I'm sure you will have an absolute hoot and a half over there :)
...xXx

Anonymous said...

I'm sure that my better half will probably chime in and tell you the same thing . . . but when you're in Philly you HAVE to hit up the Reading Terminal Market for lunch.

http://www.readingterminalmarket.org/

It's simply the best place to eat anything ever. Actually, if you weren't visiting Philly before coming to visit us, we'd probably take you to Philly just to go there.

alicia said...

i agree with husbear. i ask him weekly to take me there just for a black and white cookie. he says no every time for some reason.

i love the mutter - it's really small but jam packed with things people swallowed. one of these days i want to see eastern state penn.

can't wait to see you!
<3

Monsterchen said...

i´m like you i love creepy stuff and also when i go to other cities i want to see some of the local creepy stuff;) that museum and the old prisons look cool!
kiss,mary

Krista said...

This looks like a fun trip! You'll be so close to me when in SF:)