Tuesday, November 20, 2012

OOTD: Emi Skirt and upcycled top

So here's a little something I made over the weekend and wore to work on Monday. The top is up-cycled from a maxi skirt, I LOVED the fabric but I just never wore the skirt. I unpicked the seams thinking I'd try and make it into a dress or tunic and somewhere along the line it became a top - I'm not sure how that happened.

The top itself is from the basic t-shirt pattern in "Built By Wendy - Home Stretch" I decided to lower the neckline a little as it was too high for me but I just eye balled it and it ended up slightly wonky - hopefully it doesn't look silly.
I'm calling this skirt my "Emi Skirt" I also made it over the weekend. It's my Emi skirt as in three weeks my lovely Emi will be leaving Wellington for Christchurch and at the start of the year she'll be leaving the country for Dubai and I'll miss her loads and loads. I've inherited this lovely blue fabric from Emi so I thought I'd name this skirt after her! I still have loads of navy blue fabric left as well as some purple and red so I'm sure there will be more "Emi" themed clothes in the near future.

Seen as we're talking about things sewing related this week I recieved a lovely package of joy from Vix - which included a whole heap of old vintage sewing patterns - some of you may have already seen these via instagram.




She also sent me some vintage buttons and zippers - I rather like this photos of the zippers, looks a bit artsy.
Finally - I received some blue Barry M nail varnish which I'll try out this weekend when I have a bit more time. Thanks Vix!
I also forgot to mention last week that I did a guest blog post for the lovely Meg over at Meg's Ragged Edge. My guest post was an inspiration post so you should check it out and see some of the stuff that's inspiring at the moment (the beginning of summer is pretty high on the list).

Also last week Meg's Theme Wednesday last week was all about her "Trees Dress" how awesome is that? Also in this post she wears amazing, super shiny docs - I like them very much!

Hope you're having a good week so far xoxox

12 comments:

JuanitaTortilla said...

Oh, that was a fun read :)

I can't believe you have made travel plans for May next year, already! :)

CityScape Skybaby said...

Love your outfit Trees, that skirt is a gorgeous shade of blue, and all your prezzies from Vix are lovely too, enough patterns there to keep you going for ages. I'll need to go and look at Meg's blogs and see what you've been up to over there! xx

Unknown said...

Love that belt. I'm sure my mom & my aunt have those old sewing patterns hidden somewhere!
x, Lara
http://rockteraptor.blogspot.fi/

Vintage Bird Girl said...

You are so clever making tops & skirts as well as frocks! Your outfit looks great, I love the colour combos. And I'll say it again....I LOVE that belt! Need to get me one of those. I'm dying to get my hands on that blue Barry M polish too, I think it looks amazing when Vix wears it. Xx

Monsterchen said...

oh i love this combo of navy-blue and burgundy, colors which make me happy together, what a fabulous skirt!
and the patterns vix gave you are amazing too!
kiss,mary
http://www.maryloucinnamon.com/

Curtise said...

I love the fabric of the top, and I wouldn't have said the neckline was wonky at all! Great skirt too. And look at your little waist, have you lost more weight?
Vix has sent you some great patterns there, I love the zips shot, and yay for Barry M! xxxxx

Vix said...

What a brilliantly vibrant outfit, the skirt is particularly fab!
can't wait to see how you get on with the Barry M polish and to see what you create with the patterns. xxx

Krista said...

Oh Vix sent you a bunch of goodies. She knows you will really get cracking on those patterns. I love the color of this skirt on you and you just got my favorite color of Barry M. YUM!

cb said...

The top is perfect! I love it and I LVE THAT SKIRT!!! So did you make you she gave you the fabric, im confused. Either way i love the fit of it. I have been wanting to make a skirt like that for a while but havent had time not time to find a pattern. You are so awesome at sewing!
Xo,cb.

Meghan Edge said...

LOVE YOUR SKIRT but since we're friends on facebook you already know that, right? ;-) Thank you for the shout out, hon. I had so much fun with you on my blog.

Pull Your Socks Up! said...

Oh what the divine Vix doesn't know about dress patterns and Barry M polish just isn't worth bothering about! I LOVE the nail paint so much, I can't wait to see it on you:). OK, best outfit EVER!!! The skirt is incredible on you, the fabric and cut ... perfection!!! I love the top, you are looking super hot and gorgeous my dear!! xoxox

Helga said...

I heard you scored a pile of patterns! YAY! And lots of other treats!! that Vix sure puts togetehr great parcels of joy!
love the top, the fabric is indeed fabulous, and I can see why you had to find a way you could wear it! I love transforming garments!!!
XXX