Sunday, October 21, 2007

Making Cosmetics Yourself!

A few weeks back I made some lip gloss and massage bars - which led a few of my friends to exclaim...how did you make that?!

So in order to share my recipes and get more people out there "making stuff" I've decided to share my Lip Gloss and Massage Bar recipes.

Lip Gloss

You will need:

Lipstick (optional - only if you want coloured lip gloss)
1 teaspoon beeswax
1 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
1 tablespoon almond oil
A few drops of essential oil
3 x lipgloss pots with lids

If you wish to have a coloured lipgloss - begin by carving off 1/8 inch of the lipstick.

Place lipstick, beeswax, and coconut oil in a double boiler over a low heat.

Stir until melted.

Remove from heat and stir in almond oil and essential oil.

Pour mix into lip balm pots - allow to cool before putting the caps on.

Massage Bar

You will need:

1 tablespoon of coconut oil
1 1/2 cups of cocoa butter
A few drops of your favourite essential oil
Soap molds

Place the coconut oil and cocoa butter in a double boiler placed over a low heat.

Stir until melted.

Remove from the heat and add the essential oil.

Pour mixture into soap molds - note this mix takes a while to set - when I make them I leave the mix overnight to ensure it's set solid.

Remove from soap molds and enjoy!

No comments: