Monday, May 02, 2016

Me Made May 2016 - Last minute sign up!

In the spirit of "everything last minute always" yesterday morning as I was getting dressed I decided I would take part in Me Made May 2016.me-made-may'16
For those of you that have never heard of it before, Me Made May is a challenge for those of us who make garments (whether they be sewn, up-cycled, crocheted, knitted or whatever) to wear more of what we make! Anyone can take part, I've done it a few times before and this time I'm going to try and do a weekly round up of what I've worn during the week on my blog. I'm sure that near the end of the month the photos will become...well shall we say "less good".

Anyway part of doing Me Made May (or #MMMay16 like the hashtag says) is to set up your own pledge, so without further ado, here's mine!

 'I, Trees, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '16. I endeavour to wear one handmade item each day for the duration of May 2016 and I will also take a photo each day'

Yesterday Rich and I went hiking in Eastbourne (more about that later) and I wore one of my Me Made dresses hiking (I'm that person - I find them more comfortable -ok?). Here's a photo that Rich took of me on the hike at a rest stop - camera in hand (obviously).
I was pretty glad I chose to wear this dress for the first day of Me Made May - why? Well it's one of my favourites! However, more than that I think it shows the longevity of garments you made for yourself in a style and fabric you love. 

I originally made this dress back in Easter of 2013 and it still going strong today, not bad for a dress I made from fabric I got for nothing from a Wellington Sewing Bloggers meet up. It's a pretty simple and wearable style and of course I do LOVE paisley. It's been all over the world with me as well - including when I visited New York City.
I guess what I'm trying to say is, even though buying ready to wear means you can get some awesome stuff (I'm a sucker for vintage stuff as well as "alternative" brands like Hell Bunny and Sourpuss) when you make something for yourself, its likely to hang around in your life a bit longer - if nothing else you've put time and effort into making it - so you're going to try and wear it a few times at least right?

Although I do follow Vix's law - if I don't love something be it made by me, vintage, second hand or new I get rid of it. However, it seems that I am less likely to not love something I've made myself (although I've been there with the wrong pattern/fabric/waking nightmare projects as well!). 

Is anyone else out there taking part in Me Made May this year?

2 comments:

Rebecca Young said...

I love hikes through woods and the countryside.

Don't worry - you are not alone in wearing dresses and skirts on hikes. I used to regularly until I started to wear trousers about two years ago. I never thought I would get used to wearing trousers but actually quite like them now!

Vix said...

I nearly joined up until I realised I'd missed the deadline! I look forward to seeing your fabulous creations. That hiking dress is gorgeous. xxx