Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Day two: Don't Mess with Melaka

The second day of our trip was more relaxing than the first, but only for one reason - it was mostly spent on a train to Melaka in Malaysia.
I'm always a sucker for a train trip! I love trains and we really don't have that many here in New Zealand. It would have been quicker to get to Melaka from Singapore by bus - but we opted for the train. It was a little disappointing though - you didn't really get to see much, it was all plantations.



The other annoying thing about taking the train is that it doesn't actually go to Melaka! So you have to get a taxi from the train station. When we arrived there was a chap only too willing to take us to our hotel in his circa 1970's BMW - it was a pretty amazing  vintage car, too bad it didn't have air conditioning. It took about 45 minutes to get to our hotel from the train station and cost about 80 riggit (about $NZ30).

We arrived at our hotel and it was pretty awesome - such a great room, staff and also look at that view (It's the Wana Riverside Hotel if you're ever in Melaka).
So if you're staying at Wana Riverside hotel what's the first thing you should do? Well check out the river OBVIOUSLY!




There were a lot of murals and street art along the river which made me so happy - I love vibrant art in public spaces.





One of the main reasons we decided to travel to Melaka on a Saturday was so we could attend the night markets, so we decided to head over to Jonker Street.






These tri shaws are all kinds of amazing - they are decked out in the most overly cutesy designs and when it gets dark they play music (usually horrifying pop music) and have lights too. Oh and there are a TONNE of them - its the thing to do around Jonker Street.



Sadly this place had shut down, well it was sad for me. Rich was relieved I'm sure.
By the time we got to the markets things were getting started, but they weren't really in full swing yet.




So we decided we would walk around and head back to the Jonker Street Night Markets a little later on. 




By the time we got back to the markets it was so busy it was impossible to take photos! But I did at least get a photo of my dinner. 

Making important adult life decisions.

4 comments:

Helga said...

Melaka is just as gorgeous as I thought it would be! I've been longing to go there, mostly because of the name. I'm a sucker for a great name....hence I need to go to Melaka, Buenos Aires, Madagascar....and more, just becuase the names invoke something fabularse!
XXXXXXXXXX

Louise said...

Wow, it looks like such a beautiful and interesting place! Just look at all those palm trees! The chocolate / ice cream things look so cute, too. xx

Krista said...

I'm cracking up at what helga said:). This place looks so beautiful and fun! I too have a weakness and it's all that street art and you always show off some when you travel, these are spectacular! Please tell me you and Rich rode around in one of those cutesy bikes, can I just own one please to ride around my hood in!

Train travel does you well you look gorgeous in that first photo. And yes Cristi's dress is a walk away dress, you have a great eye, you seamstress extraordinare!
Xxooo

Vix said...

Melaka looks absolutely gorgeous, just my kind of place. The name makes me titter - its Greek for w*nker!!!
Love the olde worlde meets new. The Indian lady graffiti is stunning. xxx