Saturday, April 14, 2012

Singapore - Day Three

I can admit it - by this point in my trip I was starting to slow down a bit! I tend to go pretty crazy when I'm first travelling but eventually I slow down and feel like I need a cup of tea and a bit of a lie down rather than zipping all over the city. So I had a pretty quiet morning and met up with Chole of Wasted Fashion for lunch at one of her favourite good and cheap places "Han's" followed up by a cool drink.

After lunch Chloe went back to work and I went to check out Haw Paw Villa - also known as the "Tiger Balm Gardens". It was built by the family that invented Tiger Balm (as the name would suggest) the guide book referred to it as a theme park, but I think I would personally call it more of a sculpture garden.









One of the exhibitions at gardens was "The 12 Courts of Hell" - there was a warning outside of the exhibition about being cautious about taking children, pregnant woman and people with heart conditions inside as it was a disturbing exhibition. I figured "Whatever - I've seen hundreds of horror movies and they are only sculptures - how bad can it be?"








 This is my - " I'm not quite sure if I like what's going on in here" face.
 If you waste food - your punishment in the 12 courts of hell is getting cut in two - make sure you eat your leftovers!




This is my "I don't even know what the f**k is going on" face - taken just after I saw the sculpture which shows a grandmother being breastfed. I can't even begin to imagine what the story was behind this! Shortly after this I decided it was time to get out of the 12 Courts of Hell and look at the rest of the park.









 A monkey with a rifle - how much better can my day get!

 It seemed to me that these guys were a long way from home.
 This guy was also a very long way from home - as far away from home as me in fact!























Generally speaking - Haw Paw Villa makes for some crazy, crazy times! Eventually I left, but it was kind of mesmerizing and at times a week bit disturbing. 

I decided after Haw Paw Villa it was time to head to Chinatown and Little India - I started with Chinatown.



















Chinatown was fun, but full of tourists - which I guess is ok as I was a tourist myself! The highlight of my trip there was checking out a beautiful Hidu temple, which is something you would think I would have done in Little India - but I guess when you're travelling you never know what you're going to find and where you're going to find it.

FINALLY - I finished up in Little India, eating dinner in a food court with the most amazing food! I do love India food and there were SO many choices, I didn't know where to start. I kind of wanted to eat all the food. 

After dinner, I went for a stroll around Little India to take in some of the sights - I was pretty exhausted by this stage though so I didn't really stay as long as I would have liked too.










4 comments:

Corrine/Frock And Roll said...

What gorgeous photographs! I've always wanted to visit Singapore, and these pictures have just given me even MORE of an incentive!

alicia said...

singapore is fuuuuuuked up. i love it.

Misfits Vintage said...

I loved Singapore too - especially Chinatown and Little India! I didn't even know about that crazy Tiger Balm place - and I'm kinda glad - it's super creepy!!! Sarah xxx

cb said...

this is amazing! i love the spider/crab person! but i can't get over your dress! is that a strawberry dress? oh my goodness so amazing! i think you need to do a outfit post just for me in that dress! it is waaaay too cute!
xo,
cb