Monday, October 06, 2008

I get knocked down, but I get up again

On Saturday it was back to the skating rink for me in my current quest to become a fully fledged member of the Richter City Roller Derby team.

They say that practice makes perfect and I have really noticed a huge improvement in my skating in only one week (Jaimee and I did have an additional skating session out at Kilbirnie - so Saturday was my third time skating).

I feel like I am really getting my confidence up now - particularly as I hadn't fallen over once when I entered the rink on Saturday. But the fact I hadn't fallen over was becoming a bit of a problem, as falling over is part of derby, I needed to overcome my fear of falling over (not that falling over is scary).

This fear was conquered on Saturday as I fell over twice (luckily I was wearing pads). The first time I fell it was when I was trying to avoid running over one of the many small children at the rink - I fell forward and surprisingly - I actually wasn't that hurt.

The second time I fell over I just wasn't paying attention and I fell on my butt and man that hurt SO SO much more.

In the future I must do what the derby girls say - lean forward to make sure you fall forward and not backwards!

Also, if you're wondering what I am aspiring too, here's the Richter City Derby Team website. EXCITING!

http://www.richtercity.co.nz/

No comments: